released: 3 Nov 2011 author: Norton L, Harrison JE, Pointer S & Lathlean T media release
Obesity and injury are major health burdens on society. Possible relationships between obesity and injury have recently been reported, but their nature and extent has been unclear. This report presents summary information from an overview of the existing literature to investigate obesity injury relationships. It also surveys opportunities to fill relevant gaps in knowledge in Australia.
ISSN 1444-3791; ISBN 978-1-74249-227-8; Cat. no. INJCAT 136; 40pp.; Internet Only
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso pages
- Does obesity alter risk of injury?
- Does obesity affect outcomes from injury?
- Filling information gaps in Australia
- Body section
- 1 Introduction
- What is obesity?
- Trends in obesity
- Estimated cost of obesity
- Injury in Australia
- Why look at injury and obesity?
- Scope of the literature review
- Overview of the report
- 2 Does obesity alter risk of injuries or the pattern of injuries sustained?
- Road injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Overuse syndromes and osteoarthritis
- Childhood injuries
- Pregnancy and birth associated injuries
- Patterns of injuries
- 3 Does obesity affect outcomes following injury?
- Length of stay
- Ventilatory support
- Effect of obesity on progression of injury cases
- 4 Obesity and workplace injury
- Workers' obesity and injury
- Effect of obesity on use of safety equipment
- Obesity and work absences
- Workers' injury risk due to contact with obese people
- 5 Obesity, sport, physical activity and injury
- Physical activity and injury
- Physical activity and obesity
- Sports injury and body mass
- Physical activity, obesity and injury risk
- 6 Discussion
- Data sources
- National Hospital Morbidity Database (NHMD)
- Survey data
- Other sources
- Suggested investigations
- Effect of obesity on requirement for hospital admitted patient services for injury
- Effect of obesity on injury occurrence, patterns and consequences
- End matter
Norton L, Harrison JE, Pointer S & Lathlean T 2011. Obesity and injury in Australia: a review of the literature. Injury research and statistics series no. 60. Cat. no. INJCAT 136. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 30 August 2016 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=10737420420>.