This report contains comprehensive information on state and territory child protection and support services, and the characteristics of Australian children within the child protection system.
Key findings include: since 2009-10, the number of children subject to a notification decreased by 13% from 187,314 to 163,767; since 2006-07, the number of children subject to a substantiation of a notification has decreased by 7% from 34,028 to 31,527 (6.9 to 6.1 per 1,000 children); the number of children in out-of-home care has increased by 5% from 35,895 in 2010 to 37,648 in 2011.
ISSN 1320-081X; ISBN 978-1-74249-274-2; Cat. no. CWS 41; 142pp.; $32
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso pages
- Technical notes
- Main findings
- Notifications decreased while substantiations remained stable
- Number of children on care and protection orders and in out-of-home care continues to rise
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children continue to be over-represented in the child protection system
- Body section
- 1 The Australian child protection system
- 1.1 Child protection overview
- 1.2 Child protection data collections
- 1.3 Structure of this report
- 2 Notifications, investigations and substantiations
- 2.1 Overview
- 2.2 Cases
- 2.3 Children within the child protection system
- 2.4 National trends
- 3 Care and protection orders
- 3.1 Overview
- 3.2 Orders
- 3.3 Children
- 3.4 National trends
- 4 Out-of-home care
- 4.1 Overview
- 4.2 Children
- 4.3 National trends
- 5 Foster and relative/kinship carers
- 5.1 Overview
- 5.2 Foster carer households
- 5.3 Relative/kinship carer households
- 6 Intensive family support services
- 6.1 Overview
- 6.2 Children commencing services
- End matter
- Appendix 1: Detailed tables
- Appendix 2: Technical notes
- Appendix 3: Mandatory reporting requirements
- Appendix 4: Legislation
- Appendix 5: Policy and practice differences in states and territories
- Appendix 6: Recent state and territory policy changes
- Appendix 7: Jurisdictions’ data systems
- Appendix 8: Inquiries into child protection services
- Appendix 9: Australian developments and the international snapshot
- List of tables
- List of figures
- Related publications
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above.
Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (7 March 2012) A change has been made to the Child Protection Australia 2010–11 report (AIHW Cat no. CWS 41) that was published in January 2012. Table A1.21 on page 68 shows incorrect numbers in the 'Total' column. The online version of this report has been updated with the correct table.
- (11 April 2012) A change has been made to the Child Protection Australia 2010–11 report (AIHW Cat no. CWS 41) that was published in January 2012. Table A1.9 now has an additional footnote relating to Tasmanian data, inserted in the on-line version of the report at the request of the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services.
AIHW 2012. Child protection Australia 2010–11. Child welfare series no. 53. Cat. no. CWS 41. Canberra: AIHW.