released: 28 Mar 2012 updated: 30 Jan 2013 author: AIHW media release
The supply of employed medical practitioners increased between 2006 and 2010, from 346 to 366 full-time equivalent practitioners per 100,000 population. The increase reflected a 13% rise in practitioner numbers. The gender balance continued to shift, with women making up 37% of practitioners in 2010 compared to 34% in 2006. The average hours worked each week by medical practitioners declined slightly from 43.5 to 43.3 hours. The group with the longest average hours worked per week was Specialists-in-training at 49.9 hours, while General practitioners averaged 39.2 hours a week.
ISBN 978-1-74249-284-1; Cat. no. HWL 47; 59pp.; Internet Only
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso pages
- Technical notes
- Body section
- Medical practitioners in Australia
- Medical Workforce Survey 2010
- Additional information
- Registered medical practitioners
- Medical practitioners employed in medicine in Australia
- Age and sex
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander medical practitioners
- Field of medicine
- Country of first medical qualification
- Work setting
- Working hours
- Supply of practitioners
- Overall supply
- Supply of clinicians
- Regional profile of employed medical practitioners
- Remoteness areas of Australia
- States and territories of Australia
- End matter
- Appendix A: Explanatory notes on Medical Workforce 2010 data sources
- A.1 National Health Workforce Data Set: medical practitioners
- A.2 National Registration and Accreditation Scheme registration data
- A.3 Medical Workforce Survey
- A.4 Data inconsistencies between survey and registration data.
- A.5 Comparison with previous AIHW Medical Labour Force Survey data
- Appendix B: 2010 medical practitioner registration numbers from state and territory medical boards/councils
- Appendix C: Additional information available from the AIHW website
- Appendix D: Population estimates
- List of tables
- List of figures
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above.
Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (11 Apr 2012) Minor correction to data table content page.
- (17 Apr 2012) Minor correction to data table footnotes and new tables added.
- (15 May 2012) Additional tables added to data table: all registered practitioners.
- (30 Jan 2013) Data contained in the report have been updated, see the detailed tables in the 'additional material' tab for revised data.
- (19 Feb 2013) The Medical workforce detailed tables in the 'additional material' tab have been updated.
AIHW 2012. Medical workforce 2010. National health workforce series no. 1. Cat. no. HWL 47. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 28 April 2015 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=10737421480>.