This report estimates the cost of caring for people with dementia in New South Wales hospitals, and presents strategies and practices being implemented in Australia and internationally that might improve outcomes for people with dementia and reduce care costs. The average cost of hospital care for people with dementia was generally higher than for people without dementia ($7,720 compared with $5,010 per episode). The total cost of hospital care for these patients was estimated to be $462.9 million, of which around $162.5 million may be associated with dementia.
ISBN 978-1-74249-406-7; Cat. no. AGE 72; 109pp.; $16
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary pages
- Title and verso title
- Body content
- Identifying the costs of hospital care
- Identifying strategies affecting hospital use
- Structure of report
- Cost of dementia care in hospital—methods
- Hospital Dementia Services (HDS) Project
- Costing estimation method
- Cost of dementia care in hospital—results
- Under-identification of dementia
- Costing hospital episodes of care
- Costing hospital lengths of stay
- Strategies and practices affecting hospital use—methods
- Literature review methods
- Hospital Dementia Service Project fieldwork methods
- Strategies and practices affecting hospital use—results
- Strategies outside the hospital
- Strategies within emergency departments
- Strategies within the hospital
- Cross-sectoral strategies
- Environmental strategies
- End matter
- Appendix A: Literature review strategies
- Appendix B: Data quality statement
- List of tables
- List of figures
- List of boxes
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above.
Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (17 May 2013) Minor correction to funding details in the foreword on page iii.
Previous version - Dementia care in hospitals: costs and strategies (2MB PDF)
- (21 Mar 2013) Minor correction to page 45. Supplementary tables added.
Previous version - Dementia care in hospitals: costs and strategies (3MB PDF)
- (15 May 2013) Minor correction to foreword.
AIHW 2013. Dementia care in hospitals: costs and strategies. Cat. no. AGE 72. Canberra: AIHW.