Many older Australians report a desire to age in place. This bulletin explores the relationship between this desire and the housing circumstances of older Australians of different tenure types; that is, those who own their home outright, those paying a mortgage and those who rent their home either privately or through social housing.
ISSN 1446-9820; ISBN 978-1-74249-417-3; Cat. no. AUS 169; 20pp.; $13
Publication table of contents
- What are 'older households'?
- What does 'tenure type' refer to?
- The ageing of the Australian population
- Older households and housing requirements
- Reasons for staying or moving
- Reasons for staying
- Reasons for moving
- Age and mobility in social housing
- Satisfaction as a reason to move or stay
- Length of tenure and mobility
- A summary of findings
- Intention versus desire
- Verso page
AIHW 2013. The desire to age in place among older Australians. AIHW bulletin no. 114. Cat. no. AUS 169. Canberra: AIHW.