The supply of employed medical practitioners in Australia increased from 323.2 to 355.6 full-time equivalent practitioners per 100,000 population between 2008 and 2012, which reflected a 16.4% rise in employed practitioner numbers. Women made up 37.9% of practitioners in 2012 compared with 34.9% in 2008.
ISSN 1446 9820; ISBN 978-1-74249-536-1; Cat. no. HWL 54; 93pp.; $14
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso page
- Technical notes
- How many medical practitioners do we have?
- Who are they?
- What types of work do they do?
- Body section
- 1 Introduction
- 1.1 Medical practitioners in Australia
- 1.2 National registration of medical practitioners
- 1.3 Medical Workforce Survey
- 1.4 Additional information
- 2 Registered medical practitioners
- 2.1 At a glance
- 2.2 Registration type
- 2.3 Workforce status
- 3 Medical practitioners employed in medicine in Australia
- 3.1 Age and sex
- 3.2 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander medical practitioners
- 3.3 Field of medicine
- 3.4 Country of initial medical qualification
- 3.5 Employment setting and sector
- 3.6 Working hours
- 4 Supply of medical practitioners
- 4.1 Overall supply
- 4.2 Supply of employed clinicians
- 5 Geographic profile of employed medical practitioners
- 5.1 Remoteness areas of Australia
- 5.2 States and territories
- 5.3 Medical practitioners working in another regional, rural or remote location.
- 6 Sources of new entrants and re-entrants to the medical workforce
- 6.1 Medical practitioner training
- 6.2 Medical practitioners not employed in medicine
- End matter
- Appendix A: Data Tables
- Appendix B: Explanatory notes on Medical Workforce 2012 data sources
- Appendix C: 2012 medical practitioner registration numbers from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Appendix D: Additional information available from the AIHW website
- Appendix E: Population estimates
- Appendix F: Data Quality Statement National Health Workforce Data Set: medical practitioners 2012
- List of tables
- List of figures
- Related publications
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above.
Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (6 Mar 2014) Supplementary tables added on additional material tab.
AIHW 2014. Medical workforce 2012. National health workforce series no. 8. Cat. no. HWL 54. Canberra: AIHW.