Health Expenditure Australia 2001-02 examines expenditure on health goods and services in Australia for 1991-92 to 2000-01 and presents preliminary estimates for 2001-02.It shows that Australia spent over $66 billion on health in 2001-02, a rise of $11 billion since 1999-00.This report presents expenditure estimates at the aggregate level; as a proportion of gross domestic product (GDP); on a per person basis; by state; by comparison with selected OECD countries; and by source of funding - Commonwealth, other government and non-government.This report will be helpful to anyone interested in studying, analysing and comparing estimates of health expenditure in Australia.
ISSN 1323-5850; ISBN 978 1 74024 312 4; Cat. no. HWE 24; 121pp.; OUT OF PRINT
Health Expenditure Australia 2001 - 02
Health and Welfare Expenditure Series No. 17
Some numbers have been revised and are highlighted in red in the Excel tables.
040225 Update: (968K PDF; separate 595K XLS tables) note 7
040205 Update: (880K PDF; separate 595K XLS tables) note 6
040204 Update: (884K PDF; separate 595K XLS tables) note 5
040130 Update: (875K PDF; separate 595K XLS tables) note 4
040123 Update: (875K PDF; separate 590K XLS tables) note 3
040109 Update: (875K PDF) note 2
031125 Update: (593K XLS tables) note 1
- Preliminary material (61KB PDF)
- Title page and verso
- List of tables and figures
- Abbreviations and Symbols
- Background and summary (425K PDF)
- The structure of the health sector and its flow of funds
- Summary of findings
- Revisions to ABS estimates
- Total health expenditure (85K PDF)
- Health expenditure and the general level of economic activity
- Health expenditure per person
- Total health expenditure, by state and territory
- Sources of growth in health expenditure
- Funding of health expenditure in Australia (126K PDF)
040225 Update: (237K PDF) note 7
040205 Update: (174K PDF) note 6
040130 Update: (168K PDF) note 4
040123 Update: (167K PDF) note 3
- Broad trends
- Recurrent funding of health
- Government sources of funds
- Non-government funding sources
- Health expenditure and funding, by area of health expenditure (119K PDF)
- Recurrent expenditure on health goods and services
- Institutional health services
- Non-institutional health services
- Capital formation
- Capital consumption by governments
- International comparison (64K PDF)
- Technical notes (93K PDF)
- Methods used to produce estimates
- State and territory expenditure tables
- Expenditure by the Australian Government
- Expenditure by state and local government authorities
- Definitions, sources and notes
- Definition of health expenditure
- Revisions of definitions and estimates
- End Matter
- Appendix A: National health expenditure matrices, 1998-99 to 2000-01 (81K PDF)
040225 Update: (141K PDF) note 7
040204 Update: (82K PDF) note 5
- Notes to Appendix A tables
- Appendix B: State and territory health expenditure matrices, 1998-99 to 2000-01 (164K PDF)
- Notes for Appendix B tables
- References (33K PDF)
Notes on Updates and Corrections
031125: XLS Tables updated
040109: The following pages were replaced within PDF documents: P14, P26, P32, P34, P35, P75 & P76, P85, P88, P94, P97, P100, P103 and P106.
040123: Table 19 replaced within XLS and PDF files with additional corrections to paragraph on Private Health Insurance with the PDF documents.
040130: Table 17 replaced within PDF files and updated in XLS files.
040204: Annex A - Table A4 replaced within PDF files and updated in XLS files.
040205: Table 20 replaced within PDF Files and updated in XLS files
040225: Table 17- change to figures for 2000-01 and 2001-02. Tables A3 and A4 removal of '-1' from tables and replace with '0'. XLS tables updated accordingly.
AIHW 2003. Health expenditure Australia 2001-02. Health and Welfare Expenditure Series. Cat. no. HWE 24. Canberra: AIHW.