Mental health services in Australia 2002-03
describes the characteristics and activity of Australia's mental health services
including ambulatory and residential mental health-related care provided by
hospitals, community-based services, general practitioners, private
psychiatrists and some disability support services. Information on the broad
trends in mental health care is presented in an easy-to-use summary. Detailed
statistics show the hospital care of patients admitted with a mental
health-related diagnosis, the services, beds, staffing and expenditure in
psychiatric hospitals and community-based services, and mental health-related
medications prescribed by general practitioners and private psychiatrists. A
special theme chapter has been included which presents an overview of the
available data on the mental health care of people with
ISSN 1443-6795; ISBN 978 1 74024 445 9; Cat. no. HSE 35; 299pp.; Internet Only
Publication table of contents
Notes on updates and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above.
Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (14 Mar 2005)
- Overview (Sections 1-2)(239K PDF)
- The PDF version has been corrected to clarify the text relating to hospital admissions for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on page 7 (101K PDF).
- Appendixes 1-4. (5K PDF)
- The PDF version has been corrected to clarify information in Appendix 1 relating to the quality of service contacts data for community mental health services on pages 240 (70K PDF) and 245 (74K PDF).
- An index has been added to the full report to facilitate searching for specific topics. (66K PDF)
- Internet only tables added (195K XLS)
- (7 Jun 2005)
- The Appendix 3 excel version tables have been replaced to correct the numbering of these tables and to provide data previously missing from the excel version. (part 1: 266K XLS; part 2: 218K XLS)
AIHW 2005. Mental health services in Australia 2002-03. Mental health series no. 6. Cat. no. HSE 35. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 26 July 2014 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=6442467693>.