Cardiovascular disease, diabetes and chronic kidney disease are three common and serious illnesses in Australia. These three diseases have shared common risk factors, and often occur together. The National Centre for Monitoring Cardiovascular Disease and the National Centre for Monitoring Diabetes have collaborated to investigate the association of these diseases and their impact on Australians' health and health systems. This report is the first output of this project, and it focuses on examining the current extent of comorbidity of the conditions from three perspectives: self-reported prevalence, hospitalisation and deaths.
ISSN 1323 9236; ISBN 978 1 74024 705 4; Cat. no. CVD 37; 80pp.; Internet only
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Half title and verso pages
- Title and verso pages
- What are cardiovascular disease, diabetes and chronic kidney disease?
- What is comorbidity and how does it happen?
- Consequences of comorbidity
- Implications for disease prevention, management and health policy
- Purpose, scope and structure of this report
- Comorbidity of CVD and diabetes in the non-institutionalised population
- Comorbidity of CVD and diabetes in the institutionalised population
- Hospitalisations with comorbidity of CVD, diabetes and CKD (excluding regular dialysis)
- Hospitalisations for regular dialysis
- Deaths with comorbidity of CVD, diabetes and CKD
- Comorbidity in the context of each disease
- Extent of comorbidity
- Comorbidity in different age groups, and its impact on health services and health policy
- Differences between sexes
- Comorbidity in the context of each individual disease
- Comparison of comorbidity estimates from various data sources
- Data issues
- End matter
- Statistical methods
- Classification of CVD, diabetes and CKD
- Codes used in this report
- Detailed statistical tables
- List of tables
- List of figures
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above. Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- Rates for "CVD and diabetes" in table 5.1, page 44, have been corrected (9 August 2007).
Tong B & Stevenson C 2007. Comorbidity of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and chronic kidney disease in Australia. Cat. no. CVD 37. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 5 December 2013 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=6442468009>.