released: 16 Jun 2009 author: AIHW
These guidelines have been prepared as a reference for those involved in collecting and supplying the data for the Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Services National Minimum Data Set (AODTS-NMDS). Updated guidelines are released for each year of the collection. This edition is relevant to the 2009-10 collection period. These guidelines should be particularly useful to staff in Australian Government, state and territory health departments, and alcohol and other drug treatment agency staff directly involved in the collection and reporting of the data set.
ISSN 1442-7230; ISBN 978 1 74024 933 1; Cat. no. PHE 113; 190pp.; INTERNET ONLY
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material (128KB PDF)
- Title and verso pages
- Body section (413KB PDF)
- 1.1 How to use this document
- 1.2 Why do we need a national collection?
- 1.3 Brief history of the national collection
- 1.4 Roles and responsibilities
- Scope of the AODTS-NMDS
- 2.1 Which agencies?
- 2.2 Which clients?
- 2.3 Which activities?
- What's new for 2009-10?
- AODTS data items
- 4.1 Overview of data items in the NMDS
- 4.2 Key definitions
- 4.3 Establishment-level items
- 4.4 Episode-level items
- 4.5 A summary of data element changes
- Collection procedures, data quality and validation checks
- 5.1 Collation of the national data set
- 5.2 Data transfer
- 5.3 Data quality
- 5.4 AIHW validation checks
- AODTS-NMDS privacy and data principles
- 6.1 Introduction
- 6.2 Relevant background material
- 6.3 Responsibilities and principles
- Data release guidelines for the AODTS-NMDS
- 7.1 Purpose
- 7.2 Background
- 7.3 Options for access to unpublished data
- 7.4 Requests to AIHW for summarised national data
- 7.5 Requests to AIHW for access to unit record data in the national database
- 7.6 Requests to states and territories for summarised or unit record data
- 7.7 Requests from the AODTS-NMDS Working Group to explore data at meetings
- 7.8 AIHW charging policy for ad hoc information services
- 7.9 Data access forms
- 7.10 Other alcohol and other drug data
- End matter (138KB PDF)
- A history of data element changes
- Members of the IGCD AODTS-NMDS Working Group
- Australian Standard Geographical Classification
- Standard Australian Classification of Countries
- Australian Standard Classification of Languages
- Australian Standard Classification of Drugs of Concern
- Steps for protecting privacy
- Privacy and the AIHW
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Data Principles
- List of tables
Blakey-Fahey K 2009. Alcohol and other drug treatment services NMDS specifications: 2009-10: data dictionary, collection guidelines and validation processes. Cat. no. PHE 113. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 27 July 2016 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=6442468251>.