released: 18 Jan 2010 author: Armfield JM & Brennan D S
Teenage children have been identified as being at increased risk of dental disease, and among pre-teen children nearly half of all 6 year olds had a history of decay in their baby teeth. The Child Dental Health Survey provides national information on the dental health of children attending school dental services in Australia, and shows decay experience is relatively common in both teenage and pre-teen Australian children.
ISSN 1321-0254; ISBN 978 1 74024 927 0; Cat. no. DEN 199; 88pp.; Internet only
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso pages
- Body section
- What is dental caries (decay)?
- Classifying the extent of decay
- Risk factors for dental decay
- Measuring dental decay
- The dental health of Australia’s teenagers
- Teenagers’ dental health
- Distribution of disease
- Interstate comparisons
- The dental health of Australia’s pre-teen children
- Deciduous teeth
- Interstate comparison—5 to 6 year old dmft
- Permanent teeth
- All teeth
- Interstate comparison—all teeth
- Fissure sealants
- Immediate treatment needs
- National summary
- International comparisons
- Description of survey methods
- Source of subjects
- Data items
- Weighting of data and data analysis
- Number in sample
- National time trends
- State and territory data tables
- Supplementary state/territory data tables, 2003 and 2004
- List of tables
- List of figures
Notes and corrections
The current version of the publication is presented above.
Previous versions of files that have been updated or corrected are presented below.
- (11 Jan 2012) Numbers of teeth that underpin figures 8, 13, 18 and 20 and tables 3 and 5 in Dental health of Australia’s teenagers and pre-teen children (AIHW cat no. DEN 199) have been corrected. These figures and tables, along with accompanying text, have been revised.
Previous version: Dental health of Australia's teenagers and pre-teen children: the Child Dental Health Survey, Australia 2003-04 (846KB PDF)
Armfield JM & Brennan D S 2010. Dental health of Australia's teenagers and pre-teen children: the Child Dental Health Survey, Australia 2003-04. Dental statistics and research series no. 52. Cat. no. DEN 199. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 23 March 2017 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=6442468324>.