Despite a dramatic reduction since the late 1960s, cardiovascular disease remains the largest cause of death in Australia. Cardiovascular disease mortality: trends at different ages examines recent data to determine if the observed decrease in cardiovascular disease deaths since the 1960s is shared across disease sub-types and among different population groups. This report includes information on the past and recent trends of key cardiovascular diseases such as coronary heart disease and stroke, and describes how trends vary on the basis of age group and sex. International trends are also presented for comparison. The analyses presented in this report help to better understand what is driving the observed decrease in cardiovascular disease deaths, and are a useful resource for policy makers, researchers and health professionals interested in cardiovascular diseases.
ISSN 1323-9236; ISBN 978-1-74249-000-7; Cat. no. CVD 47; 93pp.; Internet only
Publication table of contents
- Preliminary material
- Title and verso pages
- Body section
- 1.1 Background
- 1.2 Aims
- 1.3 Methods
- Trends in all cardiovascular disease
- 2.1 What are cardiovascular diseases?
- 2.2 Deaths from cardiovascular disease
- Trends in coronary heart disease
- 3.1 What is coronary heart disease?
- 3.2 Deaths from coronary heart disease
- Trends in stroke
- 4.1 What is stroke?
- 4.2 Deaths from stroke
- Trends in heart failure/cardiomyopathy
- 5.1 What is heart failure/cardiomyopathy?
- 5.2 Deaths from heart failure/cardiomyopathy
- Trends in rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease
- 6.1 What are rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease?
- 6.2 Deaths from rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease
- Trends in key risk factors
- 7.1 Age
- 7.2 Tobacco smoking
- 7.3 Physical inactivity
- 7.4 High blood pressure
- 7.5 High blood cholesterol
- 7.6 Overweight and obesity
- 7.7 Diabetes
- 7.8 Summary of risk factor trends
- International trends
- Comment and discussion
- Data sources and classifications
- Statistical methods
- Statistical tables
- End matter
- List of tables
- List of figures
AIHW 2010. Cardiovascular disease mortality: trends at different ages. Cardiovascular disease series no. 31. Cat. no. CVD 47. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed 21 April 2015 <http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=6442468344>.