The NOPSAD data guide has been developed by the AIHW to promote nationally consistent opioid pharmacotherapy treatment data. Its development has been largely guided by jurisdictional collection materials and practices. It is hoped that the NOPSAD data guide will not only enhance the interpretation of the data currently being collected, but also facilitate the exploration of future data items in the collection that may be beneficial.
The NOPSAD data guide is intended to be used as a reference for those involved in collating and supplying pharmacotherapy data within jurisdictions, including pharmacotherapy managers and/or data providers.
It is intended that this data guide will be reviewed and enhanced annually under the guidance of the NOPSAD Working Group, which comprises national and jurisdictional pharmacotherapy data developers and data analysts. This gradual enhancement will result in these data descriptions evolving into national data definitions for registration within the National Health Data Dictionary.
The structure of the NOPSAD data guide is as follows:
- Section 2 outlines the scope of the NOPSAD collection
- Section 3 explains the collection's counting rules
- Section 4 outlines administrative features in each jurisdiction
- Section 5 describes the data transmission, collation and reporting processes
- Section 6 provides detailed information on what data are required for the NOPSAD collection
- Section 7 provides detailed data item definitions
- Section 8 provides data release guidelines
- Appendix 1 contains details of the data transmission specifications for the 2009 collection.