released: 12 Feb 2004 author: Bennett S, Magnus P & Gibson D media release
This bulletin examines levels and trends in the prevalence of obesity in the context of an ageing populations and the likely health and economic consequences. The focus is confined to obesity rather than lesser degrees of overweight because obesity has significant health consequences at all ages. The findings will inform policy makers and program deliverers who have the task of tackling the obesity problem, particularly among older Australians.
ISSN 1446-9820; ISBN 978 1 74024 355 1; Cat. no. AUS 42; 16pp.; Out of print
Publication table of contents
- Summary (317K PDF)
- Introduction: Obesity in an ageing population
- The data and how they are analysed
- Older Australians have gained weight
- More older Australians are obese (353K PDF)
- Older Australians are bigger around the waist
- References (22K PDF)
Bennett S, Magnus P & Gibson D 2004. Obesity trends in older Australians. AIHW bulletin no. 12. Cat. no. AUS 42. Canberra: AIHW.