There are a number of dementia support programs and initiatives funded by the Australian Government and delivered by individual organisations. These programs are designed to assist people with dementia and their carers, as well as the dementia care workforce.
In 2018–19, the Australian Government provided almost $50.6 million to fund dementia support programs and initiatives under the Dementia and Aged Care Services Fund (Figure 14.14). This was equivalent to 1.7% of the total direct health and aged care system expenditure on dementia and included:
- $14.6 million for Severe Behaviour Response Teams – a mobile workforce provided by Dementia Support Australia (led by HammondCare) to support people with severe behaviours and psychological symptoms of dementia, and their carers, with client-focused information, assessment and advice
- $13.4 million for the Dementia Behavioural Management Advisory Service – a mobile workforce provided by Dementia Support Australia (led by HammondCare) to support people with mild-to-moderate behaviours and psychological symptoms of dementia, and their carers, with client focused information, assessment and advice
- $12.0 million for the National Dementia Support Program – an initiative delivered by Dementia Australia, with an overarching aim to improve dementia awareness and knowledge, and empower people with dementia and their support system
- $9.3 million for the National Dementia Training Program – a national approach to accredited education, upskilling and professional development in dementia care delivered by Dementia Training Australia
- $1.3 million for the Specialist Dementia Care Program – a tailored program offering temporary, transitional care to people who are experiencing severe behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia and who can no longer be cared for in a mainstream residential aged care facility. Dementia Support Australia assesses eligibility for the program through their Needs Based Assessment program and approved residential aged care providers can apply for program grants to set up units in their facility.
Refer to Overview of dementia support services and initiatives and National policy response to dementia for further information on the Dementia and Aged Care Services Fund and provision of dementia support services in recent years.