Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2019) The health of Australia’s males, AIHW, Australian Government, accessed 04 February 2023.
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. (2019). The health of Australia’s males. Retrieved from https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/men-women/male-health
The health of Australia’s males. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 10 December 2019, https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/men-women/male-health
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The health of Australia’s males [Internet]. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2019 [cited 2023 Feb. 4]. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/men-women/male-health
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) 2019, The health of Australia’s males, viewed 4 February 2023, https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/men-women/male-health
Get citations as an Endnote file:
PDF | 2.4Mb
The type of work a person does can influence their health and wellbeing.
People killed at work in Australia are men
According to 2016–17 data, 93% of people killed at work are men (176 of 190 total fatalities). However, the rate of men killed at work has been declining, from 5 deaths per 100,000 workers in 2007 to 2.7 per 100,000 workers in 2017 (Safe Work Australia 2018a).
A serious claim is one accepted by workers’ compensation for an incapacity resulting in a total absence from work of 1 working week or more. Men accounted for more than half (64%) of serious claims in 2016–17. Of these, 9 in 10 (91%) arose from injury and musculoskeletal disorders, and the remaining 1 in 10 arose from diseases (9%). The number of serious claims for work-related injuries were highest among males aged 45–49 (Safe Work Australia 2018b).
The rate of serious claims was highest in men working in:
The most common types of work place injuries in men were:
For more information see Safe Work Australia.
ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) 2013. National Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey 2012–13: First results. Cat. 4727.0.55.001
ABS 2017. Personal Safety, Australia, 2016. ABS cat. no. 4906.0. Canberra: ABS
ABS 2018. National Health Survey: First results 2017–18. ABS cat. no. 4364.0.55.001. Canberra: ABS.
ABS 2019a. Microdata: National Health Survey, 2017–18, detailed microdata, DataLab. ABS cat no. 4324.0.55.001. Canberra: ABS. Findings based on AIHW analysis of ABS microdata.
ABS 2019b. National Health Survey: Users’ Guide, 2017–18. ABS cat.no. 4363.0. Canberra: ABS.
ABS 2019c. National Health Survey, 2017–18. Customised report. Canberra: ABS.
AIHW 2017a. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health performance framework 2017: supplementary online tables. Cat. no. WEB 170. Canberra: AIHW.
AIHW 2017b. National Drug Strategy and Household Survey 2016: Key findings online data tables. Canberra: AIHW.
AIHW 2019a. Procedures and healthcare interventions (ACHI 10th edition), Australia, 2017–18. Cat. no. WEB 216. Canberra: AIHW. Viewed July 18 2019, <https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/hospitals/procedures-data-cubes/contents/data-cubes>
AIHW 2019b. Australian Burden of Disease Study: impact and causes of illness and death in Australia 2015. Australian Burden of Disease series no.19. Cat. no. BOD 22. Canberra: AIHW.
Department of Health 2019. Australia’s Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines and the Australian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines. Canberra: Department of Health.
Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM & Dietz WH 2000. Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320:1240–3.
NHMRC (National Health and Medical Research Council) 2013. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of overweight and obesity in adults, adolescents and children in Australia. Canberra: NHMRC.
Pederson BK and Saltin B 2015. Exercise as medicine - evidence for prescribing exercise as therapy in 26 different chronic diseases. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports 25(Suppl 3):1-72.
Safe Work Australia 2018a. Work-related Traumatic Injury Fatalities, Australia 2017. Safe Work Australia: Canberra.
Safe Work Australia 2018b. Australian Workers’ Compensation Statistics 2016–17. Safe Work Australia: Canberra.
WHO (World Health Organization) 2011. Waist circumference and waist-hip ration: report of a WHO expert consultation. Geneva, 8–11 December 2008.
We'd love to know any feedback that you have about the AIHW website, its contents or reports.
The browser you are using to browse this website is outdated and some features may not display properly or be accessible to you. Please use a more recent browser for the best user experience.