This corporate plan is the primary strategic planning document for the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. It sets out the key strategies and activities we will pursue to achieve the organisation’s purposes. It covers the 2015–16 year in greatest detail but extends out to 2018–19.
The plan assists the Australian Parliament, the Australian Government and the people of Australia to assess how we are performing, how we use the public resources entrusted to us and how we cooperate with others to achieve wider objectives, in accordance with the requirements of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013.
Section 1, ‘About the AIHW’, records our purposes and key capabilities, and gives context to the significant activities we will pursue.
Section 2, ‘Our environment’, describes the nature and complexities of the environment in which we operate.
Section 3, ‘Our planned performance’, outlines the measures, targets and approach that we will use to assess our own performance.
Section 4, ‘Enhancing our capability’, presents our approach to building on the major inputs required to achieve our purposes during the course of this corporate plan, namely: workforce, information and communication technology, and capital investment.
Section 5, ‘Our priorities for 2015–16’, outlines our key areas of focus for the coming year in the context of our strategic directions. Uncertainty about the exact nature of the AIHW’s future—pending Australian Government decisions—has meant postponement of consultations with stakeholders about revision of our strategic directions. The priorities for 2015–16 will increase our capability to respond to the needs of our stakeholders and pursue any new strategic directions in the future.
Section 6, ‘Our risk oversight and management systems’, explains the systems we use to manage and control business risk, as well as measures we have implemented to ensure compliance with finance law.
The Appendixes provide information about members of the AIHW Board and further detail on the AIHW’s Portfolio Budget Statement deliverables and indicators.
The ‘Reader guides’ section comprises: a list of abbreviations; a glossary; references; related publications and a compliance index showing where to find information required by law to be published in this corporate plan.
Contact information is available on the final page, including information about how to provide feedback on this plan.
Guide to this plan
Statement of preparation
1. About the AIHW
- Our purposes
- Our stakeholders
- Our services
- Our data holdings
- Our statutory essentials
- Enabling legislation
- Privacy and confidentiality
- AIHW Ethics Committee
- Our values
- Strategic directions
2. Our environment
- Competing for business in a changing policy and institutional environment
- Reliance on external funding
- Uncertain institutional environment
- Operating in a changing information environment
- Maintaining the trust of data providers
- Understanding emerging data trends and issues
- Enhancing use of data linkage
- Responding to changing demands for information
- Understanding the policy and program environment
- Protecting information through strong privacy and data security arrangements
3. Our planned performance
- Reports required by legislation
- Health reports and welfare reports
- Annual reports
- Portfolio Budget Statements
- Assessing our performance
- PBS deliverables
- PBS key performance indicators
4. Enhancing our capability
- Information and communication technology capability
- Capital investment strategy
5. Our priorities for 2015–16
- Geospatial information
- Data linkage
- Value-added feedback to data providers
- Filling information gaps in primary health care
- Diverse product formats
- Predictive modelling and analysis
- Data quality
- Supporting information needs in a federated system
6. Our risk oversight and management systems
- Oversight of business risk
- Management of business risk
- Fraud control
- Internal audit
- Appendix 1: Members of the AIHW Board at 30 June 2015
- Appendix 2: Targets for measures of quantitative PBS deliverables and indicators, 2015–16 to 2018–19
- Abbreviations and acronyms
- Related publications
- Compliance index
Contact, feedback and publication information
- Contact information
- Contact for enquiries, comments and services
- Contact for products and services
End matter: Availability and accessibility; Acknowledgments