This Corporate plan (the Plan) is the primary strategic planning document for the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). It sets out the key strategic priorities and the activities we will pursue to achieve our purpose over the next four reporting periods from 2018–19 to 2021–22.
The Plan assists the Australian Parliament, the Australian Government and the people of Australia to assess how we are performing, how we use the public resources entrusted to us and how we cooperate with others to achieve wider objectives, in accordance with the requirements of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013.
- Chapter 1, ‘About the AIHW’, outlines the AIHW’s strategic goals and provides information about who we are and what we do.
- Chapter 2, ‘Our environment’, describes the nature and complexities of the environment in which we operate.
- Chapter 3, ‘Priority action areas’, outlines our key areas of focus for the coming years that will increase our capability to respond to the needs of our stakeholders.
- Chapter 4, ‘Enhancing our capability’, presents our approach to building on the major inputs required to achieve our purposes during the course of the Plan, namely: workforce, information and communication technology, and capital investment.
- Chapter 5, ‘Our planned performance’, outlines the measures, targets and approach that we will use to assess our own performance.
- Chapter 6, ‘Our risk oversight and management systems’, explains the systems we use to manage and control business risk, as well as measures we have implemented to ensure compliance with finance law.
The Appendixes section comprises: a list of abbreviations; a glossary; references; related publications and a compliance index showing where to find information required by law to be published in this corporate plan.
Contact information is available on the final page, including information about how to provide feedback on this plan.
Preliminary material: Statement of preparation
1 About the AIHW
- Our strategic directions
- Our vision
- Our purpose
- Our strategic goals
- Our values
- Our legislation and governance
- Our functions and role
- Managing privacy and confidentiality
2 Our environment
- Understanding emerging data trends and issues
- Responding to changing demands for information
- Maintaining the trust of data providers
- Protecting information through strong privacy and data security arrangements
- Institutional change and review
3 Priority action areas
4 Enhancing our capability
- Information and communication technology capability
- Capital investment strategy
5 Our planned performance
- Reports required by legislation
- Performance criteria
6 Our risk oversight and management systems
- Oversight of business risk
- Management of business risk
End matter: Abbreviations and acronyms; Glossary; References; Compliance index; Contact information