In 2017–18, the majority of closed treatment episodes for all clients, included:
- counselling as the most common main treatment in Western Australia (67% of episodes), followed by pharmacotherapy (7%), withdrawal management and support and case management only (both 6%) (Figure 15; Table SE WA.20)
- Due to nuances in Western Australia’s data collection system, each type of treatment results in a separate episode, Western Australia do not supply data on additional treatment types.
Over the period 2013–14 to 2017–18:
- counselling remained the most common main treatment for all closed episodes in Western Australia (ranging from 62% to 67%)
- withdrawal management was the second most common main treatment type to 2016–17, however this was replaced by pharmacotherapy in 2017–18 (7%)
- the proportion of episodes where counselling was a main treatment type remained substantially higher in Western Australia ranging from 62% to 67%, than the national rate (43% to 36%) (Tables SE WA.20 and ST.2).