This report presents the outcomes of a project funded by the Australian Health Ministers' Advisory Council and directed at establishing a basis for improving Indigenous identification in hospital separations data. It provides:
- an account of current and past assessments of the quality of Indigenous status data
- an account of jurisdictions' policies and processes for Indigenous identification
- the findings of an analysis of Indigenous identification in national separations data
- a set of guidelines to support the analysis of information on Indigenous status
- recommendations for improving Indigenous status information in hospital separations data.