The youth justice system is the set of processes and practices for managing children and young people who have committed, or allegedly committed, an offence. In Australia, it deals primarily with young people aged 10–17 at the time of the offence, although there are some variations among the states and territories. A major component of the system is the supervision of young people in the community or in detention.
More reports and statistics on youth justice can be found under Children & youth and Prisoners.
31 Mar 2022
14 Dec 2021
Individual periods of supervision that were completed during 2020–21 lasted for a median of 124 days (about 4 months)
On an average day in 2020–21, 4,695 young people aged 10 and over were under youth justice supervision
72% of young people in detention were unsentenced—that is, awaiting the outcome of their legal matter or sentencing
On an average night in the June quarter 2021, 819 young people were in detention
Most (83%) young people in detention were aged 10–17, the remainder (17%) were aged 18 and older
The detention rate for young people aged 10–17 was down slightly over the 4-year period from 3.5 to 2.7 per 10,000
We'd love to know any feedback that you have about the AIHW website, its contents or reports.
The browser you are using to browse this website is outdated and some features may not display properly or be accessible to you. Please use a more recent browser for the best user experience.