On this page:
Standard linkage project costs normally range from $15,000 to $80,000 with an average of $50,000. More complex projects may exceed these costs.
Factors that impact the cost of linkage work include, but are not limited to:
- the cohort size exceeds one million individuals, including control or comparison group
- DISC creates the cohort or control/ comparison group
- data provided to DISC requires substantial cleaning
- the project includes data from states or territories
- extraction of additional data after the data have been provided
- linkage updates (new individuals are added to the cohort and content data extracted for the new individuals or the full cohort)
- new dataset(s) are added to a previously linked cohort.
The AIHW Data Integration Services Centre (DISC) can provide a quote for prospective data linkage projects, including grant applications, on request.
To request a quote, you must complete a short feasibility questionnaire. The feasibility questionnaire collects information that will allow DISC to prepare a quote, and identify any potential technical, privacy or ethical issues that must be addressed. The questionnaire will be provided when you contact us for a quote.
It can take at least 3 weeks for DISC to issue a quote from when the completed feasibility questionnaire is submitted. Please ensure this timing is factored in when you reach out to us.
Due to the effort involved in reviewing a feasibility questionnaire and preparing a quote, this service is subject to cost recovery.
The standard fee schedule is provided in Table 1.
|Datasets||Fee (excluding GST)*|
|AIHW datasets only||$617.50|
|Linkage of AIHW datasets with other data (for example, study cohorts, state-supplied data, clinical registers)||$1,852.50|
* Projects requiring additional support (for example, with complex legal, privacy, or technical issues) may be subject to additional fees.
Please ensure that you account for other costs in your project, in addition to costs already included in this quotation process. These other costs may include:
- AIHW Ethics Committee: All applications are subject to an administration fee, irrespective of the outcome.
- AIHW approved secure access environment: Sax Institute’s Secure Unified Research Environment (SURE).
- State and territory linkage costs: Contact the respective state and territory linkage team(s) for their costs to link to state and territory datasets.
To request a quote, or if you have any questions about data linkage services, contact the AIHW Data Integration Services Centre via email at [email protected]