What other information is available?
More information on these data are available in the Non-admitted patient care 2020–21 data tables, refer to tables 4.1–S4.5.
Definitions of the terms used in this section are available in the Glossary and technical specifications are available in the Info & Downloads area, in the About the data section.
There are four funding sources that could be assigned to non-admitted patient care service events:
- Medicare Benefits Scheme
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Compensable—which includes:
- Worker’s compensation
- Motor vehicle third party personal claim
- Other compensation
- Other—which includes:
- Health service budget (including Reciprocal Health Care Agreements, or where no charge was raised due to hospital decision). This category includes both state/territory and Australian Government contributions
- Other hospital or public authority (contracted care)
- Department of Defence
- Correctional facilities
- Private health insurance
- Other funding source
- Not known.
Tier 2 clinic class
Tier 2 clinic class categorises a hospital’s non-admitted services into classes which are generally based on the nature of the service provided and the type of clinician providing the service.
The major categories are:
- Procedural clinics—which provide minor surgical and non-surgical procedures (that do not require the patient to be admitted) by a surgeon or other medical specialist
- Medical consultation clinics—typically provided by a medical or nurse practitioner. There may also be input from allied health personnel and/or clinical nurse specialists
- Diagnostic service clinics—which provide diagnostic services within a specific field of medicine or condition. These services include imaging, screening, clinical measurement and pathology
- Allied health and/or clinical nurse specialist intervention clinics—which provide services by an allied health professional or clinical nurse specialist. An allied health professionals include a range of occupations that provide diagnostic, technical and therapeutic services to the aged care, mental health, disability and health sectors.
More information about Tier 2 clinic classes can be found in the section Non-admitted patient service events in the Non-admitted patient activity area of the MyHospitals site. Alternatively, the Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (IHPA) website contains information on the Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Classification.