What do maternity models of care look like?
Around 1,000 maternity models of care were reported as being in use across Australia in 2023. While the total number of models classified in the Model of Care National Best Practice Data Set (MoC NBPDS) has increased since 2022, the key characteristics of these models remain the same and can be explored in the following sections. This includes:
- the 11 categories these models fall into (major model category)
- the designated and collaborative carers who provide these models of care (maternity carers)
- the extent of continuity of carer within the models (continuity of carer)
- whether the models target a particular group of women (target groups)
- the antenatal and postnatal care and birth settings within the models.