- In the study cohort, there were 216,640 living or deceased ADF members: 118,584 ex‑serving, 55,438 serving, and 42,618 reserves.
- Of these, 61% Army, 20% Navy and 19% Air Force.
- 84% of ADF members are males and 16% are females.
- Serving members were younger than reserve and ex-serving members, with nearly two‑thirds (66%) aged under 35 years compared with 44% of reserve and 28% of ex‑serving members in the same age group.
- Ex-serving and reserve members were generally older than serving members, with 41% and 34% aged 45 years and over, respectively, compared with 17% of serving members.
Service-related characteristics experiences
- Of all ex-serving members in the study cohort, around half (51%) served for 10 or more years, while 13% had served for less than one year.
- Half (50%) ex-serving separated voluntarily, around 1 in 8 (12.5%) for medical reasons, around a quarter (28%) for other involuntary reasons, and 1 in 10 (9.6%) for contractual/administrative reasons.