Explore the data
The interactive dashboard displays diabetes prevalence, incidence and deaths by sex, age group and selected population groups including Indigenous status, remoteness area and socioeconomic area. Trends data are displayed from 2000 to 2021.
- Population groups and trends data age-standardised to the 2001 Australian Standard Population.
- Excludes persons where remoteness area and/or socioeconomic area was missing and persons whose Indigenous status was not stated or inadequately described.
- Remoteness is classified according to the Australian Statistical Geography Standard 2016 Remoteness Areas structure based on postcode of current residence.
- Socioeconomic areas are classified according to population-based quintiles using the Index of Relative Socio-Economic Disadvantage (IRSD) based on Statistical Area Level 2 (SA2) current residence.
- Prevalence and incidence rates may be influenced by the lower capture of Indigenous Australians and people living in Remote and very remote areas or across states and territories with large remote communities on the National Diabetes Services Scheme.
Chart: AIHW. Sources:
- Prevalence and Incidence: National Diabetes Services Scheme and Australasian Paediatric Endocrine Group state-based registers.
- Deaths: National Mortality Database.