The Indigenous Community Housing (ICH) data collection captures information about ICH organisations (ICHOs), the dwellings they manage, and tenants assisted. ICHOs include community organisations such as resource agencies and land councils, which may have a range of functions, however are included in ICH provided that they manage housing for Indigenous people. ICHOs may either directly manage the dwellings they own or sublease tenancy management services to the relevant state/territory housing department or another organisation.
Since 2003–04, the AIHW has compiled ICH data from state and territory housing departments on an annual basis. These data help to describe the performance of Indigenous housing programs.
The data collection has evolved over time, including changes to the data collection scope, procedures, data items and underlying definitions and concepts
from 1/7/2003 to 30/6/2021
National and State
- Summary tables published in electronic form
Client specified tables on request which may be subject to data provider approval (charges apply).
Restricted unit record access subject to Ethics Committee approval and/or the agreement of all relevant data custodians in all states and territories (charges may apply).
There are restrictions and limitations governing the availability or use of other data in this holding.
Inclusions: dwellings that are targeted to Indigenous people and ICHOs that provide medium- to long-term housing tenure to tenants.
- managed under Community Housing, Public Housing, State Owned and Managed Indigenous Housing, or the Crisis Accommodation Program
- no longer under the administration of an ICHO at 30 June of the reference year (including dwellings demolished, sold or otherwise disposed of)
- not yet available to the ICHO at 30 June of the reference year (such as those still under construction or being purchased).
Apart from the following, the data collection focuses on dwellings managed by funded ICHOs only (for NSW, this means excluding not actively registered ICHOs):
- Number of permanent dwellings managed by funded and unfunded organisations at 30 June
- Number of funded and unfunded ICHOs at 30 June.
There is no ICH program in the ACT.
Metadata information and data quality statement (DQS)
Indigenous Community Housing DSS
Indigenous Community Housing DQS
External links and information
Housing assistance in Australia
Report on Government Services