Most states and territories offer ongoing face-to-face training programs for the SHS collection, so look out for training opportunities that are advertised or direct your queries to your state/territory department.
The AIHW offers online training via webinars and these are particularly useful if face-to-face training is not available in the near future, or your remote location makes travelling for training difficult. Webinars are regularly advertised in the latest SHS e-Newsletter.
On this page:
SHS collection eNewsletter for homelessness agencies (PDF 276KB) – September 2023
SHS Collection manual (PDF 1.4MB) – August 2023
- SHS Validata™ Manual – August 2018
- Validata™ enhancements – October 2023
- Validata™ enhancement
- Validata™ e-Learning module
This e-Learning course is divided into the following lessons and it is recommended that you work your way through them all.
- How to access Validata™
- How to navigate through Validata™
- How to upload and submit extracts
- How to create and administer user access
From July 2016, the AIHW no longer accepts or processes paper client forms. However, the sample forms below can be useful for collecting client data which can then be entered into your agency’s client management system.
- Two factor authentication – This module steps you through utilising a verification code to log into SHIP.
- Managing SHIP User Accounts – This module steps you through ways to efficiently manage SHIP users within your agency.
- New and updated SHS data items – This module steps you through changes to the SHSC which were implemented on 1 July 2017.
- This module steps you through changes to SHIP which were implemented on 1 July 2017.
- This module outlines some general data entry tips that you will find useful.
- SHIP helpful hints – This module outlines some general hints about SHIP client management functionalities.
- Entering a family into SHIP using SHIP copy-over functions – This module steps you through how to efficiently enter a family into SHIP making use of SHIP’s copy-over functions.
- How to add extra family members to an open support period – This module covers how to add new family members to a presenting unit after the support period has been open for some time (updated May 2017).
- How to complete a status update – This module steps you through how to complete a status update for individual clients and family groups.
- How to fix status update errors – This module outlines where to view status update errors, how to resolve errors and re-run a status update.
- How to identify and report on specific agency programs – This module steps you through how to add a list of your agency programs to SHIP, how to enter programs on client records, and how to output reports and lists about specific programs.